Skip to main content
Assignment 7A- Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1
- Opportunity:
- Women and men who get their nails done are spending too much time and money on chipped nails because nail polish is not made for wear and tear.
- The who: Women and men who get their nails done
- The what: Nail polish chipping
- The why: Nail polish is not made for wear and tear
- Testing the who: Everyone in my current “who” share this need. Women and men all over the world who get their nails done struggle with this problem. This problem is the chipping of either finger or toe nail polish or the chipping of both.
- Testing the what: Some nail polishes have been made to withstand wear and tear better than other types of nail polish. An example of this nail polish would be gel. It has a special base coat, top coat, and UV light to seal the polish. Dipped powder is a type of service that uses a certain powder and sealant to make the nail color.
- Testing the why: I’m sure that nail polish creators invented the nail polishes with intention of them not lasting forever on someone’s nail and the person wanting to change the color in the future. The problem is, typical nail polish will frequently chip within a day or two on finger and toe nails. Thus people have to get their nails redone frequently. I think this lead to creations of the gel polish and dipped powder for nails. These last longer but still chip pretty easily.
- Interview #1:
- In this interview, I found that this woman has been getting her nails done at the salon for 4 years and she goes every 2-3 weeks. She told me that it is often hard for her to find time to get her nails done due to long wait times at the salon and other commitments such as working, going to school, and doing homework. She said that her nails end up chipping just a few days after she gets them done almost every time. For her, it mostly happens to her toe nails. She feels that she spends a lot of money getting her finger and toe nails done. Getting them done for her is also a large time commitment. This woman works at a pizza restaurant and is constantly using her hands to fold boxes, fulfill order, and ring customers up.
- Interview #2:
- This interviewee told me that she has been getting her nails done for the past 10 years and goes to the salon every 3 weeks. She told me that she gets gel nail polish on top of acrylic nails and that her nails very infrequently chip. She has been going to the same salon for the past 10 years even though she has moved away from its location. Therefore, she has quite a commute to the salon. Trips to the salon take a lot of time out of her day, which could be put to great use in other areas of her busy life.
- Interview #3:
- This woman told me that she has not been getting her nails done for very long. She said that she also will periodically get them done every 2 weeks and then not get them don’t for a long period of time. Her nails have chipped before and she said that it is always so frustrating and disappointing when it happens, especially when you spend so much money to have them done. She told me that her biggest problem is that when one chips, she will take the nail polish off of all the other ones to so that they don’t look bad.
- Interview #4:
- This interviewee said that she also gets her nails done every 2-3 weeks and has been getting her nails done for over 25 years. She told me that over the 25 plus years that she has experimented with a variety of different nail services and types of nail polish. She has had acrylics, pink and white nails, gel polish, regular polish, and dipped powder. She said that with each type, the polish would still chip.
- Interview #5:
- In this interview, I found out that this woman has been getting her nails done for about 5 years and gets them done roughly every 2 weeks. Although, she said that there are times where she gets her nails done and they chip so much that she doesn’t get her nails done for a long time because she becomes frustrated. She expressed her hatred for her nails chipping very strongly. She said that she hates when she spends $40 on her finger nails and $20 on her toe nails every 2 weeks just for them to chip within a few days.
- Given your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you did not know before?
- I knew that chipping nail polish was a problem, but I did not realize the strong hatred that women express for this happening. It really gave me new perspective in how this is an excellent opportunity that someone could solve a lot of problems and make a lot of money off of.
- I was not able to find any males that get their nails painted, so I could not get their point of view on the chipping of nail polish.
- I did not realize how often woman get their nails done and how much money they must be spending on the services and gas to get to the salon. All of these women get their nails done roughly every 2 weeks and have been getting them done for many, many years.
- It was interesting to learn from interviewee 4 that the plethora of nail polish products she used all chipped.
Hey Madison, I just read this post and I thought it was a fantastic idea. I really like how in depth you went with your interview. I have never used nail polish on my nails, but if I did, this is a really great opportunity. I did not know that many people had a problem with this and I feel that in our age, this could be fix easily. Overall, this was a great post!
ReplyDeleteHey Madison! The opportunity that you have presented is one that my sister is always making known. She complains every few day about the chips on her nails and how miserable her life is. This is an awesome opportunity to take advantage of and I am sure you are realizing that from your interviews. I am interested to see the different ways you can offer a solution.
ReplyDelete