Assignment 23A- Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage
1.
Social Capital: UF Greek Life: I
am a student of UF and I am a member of Greek Life on campus. I have the
ability to contact anyone in UF Greek Life.
· Valuable: Women are my target audience and college aged
women are a part of my target age. Being in a sorority, I am surrounded by
hundreds of women.
· Rare: This is not rare as there are thousands of women
who attend UF and are in sororities.
· Inimitable: This is not hard to copy because you could go
to any school and become a part of Greek Life.
· Non-substitutable: Being able to market within my
sorority and the Panhellenic community is not substitutable. There is a small
chance I will be within such proximity to so many women.
2.
Social Capital: Engineers and
Chemists: I am friends with many engineers and chemists here at UF. My product
will need to be tested and having these friends is a benefit because they are
willing to help me in any way.
· Valuable: I have these friends here at UF, which would
make testing easy since I would not have to travel far. These friends are
valuable because they would not let me go forth with a misfunctioning product.
· Rare: This is rare. One reason is I will not be in such
proximity to these friends and labs again. Another reason is I will be able to
get their honest opinions and feedback since they are my friends and want to
see me succeed.
· Inimitable: The knowledge of these engineers and chemists
can be imitated but it would be challenging.
· Non-substitutable: The knowledge of engineers and
chemists is needed for this product to succeed so this is not substitutable.
3.
Nail Salon Experience: I have
been getting my nails done for a very long time.
· Valuable: I know how often I go and how much I spend. I
have also gone to so many different salons, so I know the services and prices.
· Rare: This is not rare; many women get their nails done and
have been going for quite some time.
· Inimitable: This is inimitable because anyone can begin
to get their nails done.
· Non-substitutable: This cannot be substitutable. For my
product, having knowledge about nail salon services and prices is necessary.
4.
Financial capital: I have been
putting half of my paycheck into my savings account every payday since I held
my first job, therefore, I have money in my savings that I can put toward this
endeavor.
· Valuable: This is valuable because you need money in
order to launch a business idea.
· Rare: This is not rare as many people have savings
accounts.
· Inimitable: Anyone can begin to save money to put toward
something.
· Non-substitutable: This can be substituted by fundraising
and loans.
5.
Support of other women: Other
women out there want more alternatives and solutions for nail polish that
chips.
· Valuable: This is valuable because I would have the
support of many other women.
· Rare: This is rare because I think it is one major thing
most women have in common: wanting to put an end to short lived nail polish.
· Inimitable: This could be inimitable. You would have to
find another thing for many women to agree on.
· Non-substitutable: This is not substitutable because I
need the support of women (not men).
6.
Publicity/Gossip: If I were able
to make this product and have it successfully live up to its potential, it
would be very popular. I think this news would spread fast among women, social
media, and the news.
· Valuable: This is valuable because if people spread the word
about the product, more and more people will become interested and look into
it.
· Rare: It is not rare for women to tell each other about
new products they have found or for products to be in media.
· Inimitable: Publicity can be inimitable. If a product is
successful it will be talked about in the media.
· Non-substitutable: The media is important when trying to
launch a new product. It is important to spread the word as much as you can.
Publicity and gossip cannot be substituted.
7.
Customer service: I have worked
in the food and retail industry for 5 years.
· Valuable: It is valuable to have good customer service
skills in any kind of business, especially when trying to become an entrepreneur.
· Rare: I do not think that customer service skills are
rare, although they do take time to acquire. Anyone can work towards having
good customer service skills.
· Inimitable: This is not inimitable as anyone can have
good customer service skills.
· Non-substitutable: This is not substitutable. Having good
customer service skills is very important. You either have customer service
skills or you do not, there is no in between.
8.
Leadership: Having worked with
the same company for four years I have developed good leadership skills. I have
worked with many people at a time and have trained many new employees.
· Valuable: When you become an entrepreneur, you need to be
a leader, therefore, this is a valuable trait.
· Rare: This trait is not rare; many people have leadership
characteristics.
· Inimitable: This is not an inimitable trait. This is a
common trait, but I think it is also very important.
· Non-substitutable: Possessing the trait of leadership is
not substitutable. Being a leader is important when trying to start up a new
business.
9.
Teamwork: Having had a job since
I was 15 and with the help of many group projects, I work very well with
others.
· Valuable: It is important to be able to work with others
when you are trying to start a business.
· Rare: It is not rare. Everyone will work in a team with
others at some point in their lives.
· Inimitable: It is not inimitable because most people work
with others daily.
· Non-substitutable: Working well with others is not
substitutable. When starting a new business, it is important to be able to work
well with other people.
10. Intellectual capital: ENT 3003: In taking ENT 3003, I
have learned a lot about becoming an entrepreneur and the skills/ steps that go
along with it.
· Valuable: The knowledge I have gained from this class is
very valuable, especially if I decide to go further with my business plan.
· Rare: What I have learned in this class is kind of rare
because no one else has the same lectures or thoughts as the professor.
· Inimitable: This class is inimitable because it is taught
by a professor here at UF only.
· Non-substitutable: This class is not substitutable. The
information in this class cannot come from any other class.
After doing the VRIN analysis, I
think that my first resource is my top resource. With college aged women being
a part of my target audience, it is pretty valuable that I am a member of the
University of Florida’s Greek Life. Being in a sorority, I have access to so many
women’s opinions. Although this resource is not unique since many other women
are members of sororities, I think it is very valuable, cannot be intimated,
and is not substitutable. I will never be in such close proximity to so many
women who would be willing to test out my product and give me feedback.
Comments
Post a Comment