Assignment 27A- Reading Reflection No. 3

  1. For this reading reflection, I read Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance. What surprised me the most in this book was that Elon Musk has so many companies. I knew that he was the innovator behind Tesla but I did not know about all the others. It shocked me that he also was the innovator behind PayPal. What I admired most about Elon Musk is that he is that he is only 47 and is so successful. He is a part of so many different companies: SpaceX, Tesla, Neuralink, The Boring Company, OpenA, PayPal, and more. Honestly, after reading this book, there is nothing that I “least” admire about Elon Musk. He has come up with so many companies that are benefiting so many people. Elon Musk was CEO of PayPal when it merged with Confinity. He was ousted about a year later due to disagreements among other leaders in the company. When he was ousted, he overcame this by just continuing to be an entrepreneur. A year later, he came up with a plan to reattain people’s interest in space and came up with SpaceX.
  2. One major competency that Elon Musk exhibited is persistence. Whenever he was knocked down or had a failure, he would just get back up and keep going. I think Elon Musk also sees potential in things that others would not. An example of this is SpaceX and his attempt to spark people’s interest about space exploration. Another example of this is inventing cars that can drive themselves and all the other features of Teslas.
  3. Part of this book that confused me was his early life and his family. The book goes into little detail about his at home life. 
  4. 2 questions I would ask Elon Musk:What made you keep going after all the hardships you have faced in life? What made you interested in the things you are interested in (cars, space)?
  5. I think that Elon Musk’s opinion of hard work is very different from mine. This man has gone through so much to become as successful as he is. I think that my opinion of hard work to him would be a baby step in his life. If I had to guess I think his opinion of hard work would be doing anything necessary in order to succeed and make things happen, even if that meant spending lots of money and staying up for days on end.

Comments

  1. Hello Madison! I read the same book you did for my second reading assignment and all I can say is that Elon is an interesting character in the world of business. I really like the questions you'd ask him because they're thought provoking and would guarantee a lengthy conversation between you and Musk. Your reflection was great and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madison. This is one of the books I did not read this semester but I might in the future after reading your blog post. Elon Musk is so interesting to read about because he has accomplished so much. I would ask Musk the same things as you because it seems like he has a passion for what he does but it would be interesting to know why. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Madison, I read the same book as you did for my first reading assignment. I truly believe it was a great book and I had a fun time reading it. I think Elon Musk is a really cool person and I thought I knew him, but when I read the book, my mind was blown. There was so many things I did not know about him that are really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment